Œuvre d'art public

Field of Winds

Linda Covit, Field of Winds, 2003
Linda Covit, Field of Winds, 2003
Waterloo Regional Airport, 1-4881 rue Fountain North, Breslau, ON, N0B 1M0, Canada
Artwork creator(s): 
Covit, Linda
Text author(s): 
Covit, Linda
Installation year: 
Remarks on location: 

Les neuf objets mobiles sont installés sur la pelouse; les poteaux illuminés longent le chemin des piétons menant au terminal


Une série de colonnes lumineuses, ligne de la passerelle à l'aéroport. Chacune des colonnes est une sérigraphie avec une photo prise à partir des archives, accompagnée d'un texte descriptif.

Text of the artwork: 


The Region of Waterloo Airport had its beginnings in 1929 as the K-W Airport.  Its origin and location at Lexington Field was largely the work of local businessmen

Norman Schneider and Robert Dietrich.



The K-W Airport was one of only four locations in Canada to be favoured by a visit of the British Hawker Fury fighters in 1934.  Led by Wing Commander Pirie, the crowd of ten thousand was treated to an exhibition of formation flying for an admission price of ten cents.



In the early years of aviation, many women were attracted by the excitement of flying.  In 1934, twenty year old Mary M. Weber earned her private pilot’s license through the K-W Flying Club at the Lexington airfield.  The club’s two training airplanes were the “ Miss Kitchener” and the “Miss Waterloo”.


Record Photograph Collection



Trade Minister C. D. Howe initiated work on the new Waterloo Wellington airfield in 1949.  With Howe at the opening ceremony was one of the local airport founding members – Norman Schneider (at the right of the picture).

Kitchener-Waterloo Record Photograph Collection



Garf’s Flying Service was roundly congratulated on their first scheduled air service flight in 1951 by founding airport pioneers Norman Schneider and Robert Dietrich.  The early morning flights to Malton would allow passengers to connect to many national and international destinations from there.

Waterloo Historical Society Garf Schmidt Collection



The Waterloo Wellington Flying Club held its first ever forty-eight hour flying marathon in 1959.  The club kept one of its planes in the air at all times during the marathon.

Kitchener – Waterloo Record

Photograph Collection, University of Waterloo Library



In 1969 and 1973 the control tower and airport terminal building, respectively, were added to the landscape.  Extensions of 1500 feet and 1800 feet were made to runway 07/25 in 1984 and 2003, respectively.  The terminal building was replaced in 2003 with the new facility at the end of this path which recognizes the Region of Waterloo’s commitment to progressive service provision for both citizens and visitors.

Personal Studio

Artwork theme: 
Histoire de l’aéroport régional de Waterloo, femmes en aviation au Canada

«In researching the development of this airport, I was intrigued to learn about Mary Weber. At 20 years old, she learned to fly at what was then Lexington Field, and was the fifth woman in Canada to receive a pilot's licence. This "discovery" initiated the History Posts, a series of illuminated columns along the walkway. Each is silk-screened with a photograph taken from archives, accompanied by a descriptive text. Walking through this narrative offers travelers a glimpse of some of the milestones important to the airport's growth, from its beginnings in 1929 to 2003 with the new facility, Waterloo Regional Airport gracing the end of the path. «A grouping of mobiles extends across the grassy area in front of the airport terminal. Each comprises two branches of leaves poised above a slender pole. The branches turn slowly with the currents of air, embodying the poetics of wind and flight.»


Conversation avec l'artiste

Regional Municipality of Waterloo