Brilliantly-colored figural pieces are interspersed with abstract components depicting the activities that take place in the recreation facility. Calligraphic marks and stripes are integrated into the panels, lending a spontaneous gestural quality to the work. The piece as a whole is meant to reflect the note of celebration felt throughout the building, as well as the excitement, anticipation and intense focus found there.
- The artist was chosen through an open call process, which invited all interested artists to submit an application for the project.
- The budget for Celebrations was $26,000.
- The project was a collaborative initiative by the Public Art Program and City of Calgary Recreation, the business unit sponsor.
- The capital project through which the funding was made available was the construction of the Cardel Place recreation facility.
- Celebrations was completed in September 2004.